I suggest you ...

DLNA streaming

I am not sure how you would go about it, but I think it would be awesome if you could add the ability to stream the videos over DLNA to Xbox 360s, PS3s, etc. It wouldn't be easy, but it would really make your product a must have item. Tversity does something similar to this with web streams, but it doesn't support Usenet.

9 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    sircolby45 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • indolering commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a good stop-gap to the boxee/linux/OS X requests. What everyone wants is to hook this up to their non-windows HTPC. This would at least do that, and/or gaming console!

• sircolby45 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not exactly sure of the complexities of this, but here is the way I would look into going about it. I would find a way to instead of streaming the file try to stream the video that Bintube is playing. For example maybe have a way for Bintube to play the video and the DLNA just be showing what is showing in Bintube. That way VLC would handle all of the tricky part and the DLNA would just be streaming the video VLC creates.

• AdminBinTube (Admin, BinTube) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with DLNA is that the GUI presented by DNLA renderers is klunky, slow and very limited. We have already been toying with the idea for a while and plan to integrate DLNA functionality into the software at least to stream downloaded media files over DLNA. But don't expect to be able to browse Usenet from your TV anytime soon, at least not using the DLNA browsing functionality available today. A Boxee plugin would be more suited for this but we currently have our hands full. If anyone has experience programming for Boxee and and wants to take this on, drop us a note.

Feedback and Knowledge Base